“Interesting Fact: There’s a Yawning Need for Boring Professors” is the headline of an article in today’s Wall Street Journal.
Subtitle: “The Study of Monotony Sees a Burst of Activity.”
The article points out:
• Boredom studies are becoming an exciting field of inquiry.
• There is a boomlet in boredom studies.
• Boredom researchers contend theirs is a fascinating field.
• “Boredom is a gold mine,” says a neuroscientist at a university in Ontario.
“Boredom is in the eye of the beholder” — “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”
Could it be that activities being researched are actually exciting to us dull men — what we call “Safe Excitement” on dullmensclub.com.
For example, watching these videos:
• Video of man mowing lawn
• Video of learning English as second language
• Video of hanging laundry out to dry
• Video about setting up a fish farm
Speaking of the Wall Street Journal, we too were in it — last July: “Area Man Joins Organization Where Nothing Much Ever Happens.”