March 18, 2011
Interesting news about the Cumberland sausage.
This reminds me that there is a saying in Germany: “Everything has an end. Only a sausage has two.”
Thanks for sending this. A milestone for sausage indeed — winning EU’s Protected Geographical Indication (“PGI”) status.
As Peter Gott of the Cumberland Sausage Association says, “This is a great milestone for the county and a well deserved place in England’s food history for a truly sensational, diverse food product.”
The sausage joins Stilton Cheese and Cornish Clotted Cream as British PGI products. PGI products from other countries include Champagne Parma Han, and Greek Feta Cheese.
The article says the sausage must be produced, processed, and prepared in Cumbria dnd has meat content of at least 80%. The article does not indicate what the remaining 20% can be; presumably it can be anything.
The sausage must be sold in a long coil. It is not indicated whether the coil must be wound clockwise or counterclockwise or can go either way.