Although it’s too soon to tell for sure, so far it looks like the new pope not only was elected pope, he is a candidate for our list of Dull Men of the Year.
• Does things in line with our motto “Celebrating the Ordinary.”
• Modest, plain, humble.
• Avoids glitz and glam.
• Less pomp and circumstance.
• Wears a simpler pope robe than previous popes, no ermine-trimmed cloak.
• Old black shoes instead of shiny red ones.
• Takes the bus instead of a limousine.
• After being chosen pope, he went to his hotel to pick pay the bill and pick up his luggage himself instead of sending a valet.
• At the dinner with cardinals at the end of the day he was chosen pope, he said, “My brother cardinals have chosen one who is from far away but here I am.” That’s much like another of our mottoes “No matter where I go, there I am.”
And we enjoy his sense of humor. At that dinner with cardinals, he said,”May God forgive you for what you have done.”