February 2, 2011
Every year, at this time of the year, I hear the hoopla about Groundhog Day. I have never quite seen the point of it. Until this year. This year I made a list (we dull men like lists, right).
- It gives the groundhog a reason to get out of its burrow
- It gives Punxsutawnians a reason to dress up
- I learn, once again, how to spell Punxsutawney
- I can test my memory — how far am I from Alzheimer’s — is seeing the shadow good news or bad news?
- It gives TV and radio stations something for a snow news day
- It gives viewers a nice break from watching riots in Cairo
- The groundhog’s forecast is useful — often more accurate than forecasts by weathermen
Sincerely (dull men are always sincere, mostly),