“Grab a Slice of Life” — information from American Pie Council
• Pies date back to ancient Egypt.
• The first pie recipe was published by the Romans — rye-crusted goat cheese and honey pie.
• Romans spread pies throughout Europe.
• Early pies were mostly meat pies.
• America has England to thank for pies. It began with English settlers baking pies in their colonies.
• Pie has become the established American dessert — “as American as apple pie.”
Read more — “History of Pies” on American Pie Council’s website
Pies are making a comeback
Cheryl Day says:
“I really am into pies right now. I think the craft of making a pie has made a comeback. No matter what your skill level is, you can make a pie. And who doesn’t enjoy a slice of pie? I think it’s definitely going to be coming forward.”
Pies are fun