Astonishing results of a survey of 4,500 UK adults by the country’s Food Standard Agency: 44% of them wash chicken before cooking it.
Washing chicken is dangerous. The splashing water spreads campylobacter bacteria to work surfaces, cooking equipment, and clothing.
Campylobacter, the most common type of food poisoning in the U.K., causes diarrhea, stomach pains, cramps, and fever.
The good news is that the effects last only a few days.
This is reported in the BBC News article “Washing chicken ‘spreads infection’.”